The Barbados Primate Research Centre was established in 1982 for the conservation and study of green monkeys by Canadian primatologist Jean Baulu and his wife, Suzanne. The green monkeys were brought to Barbados in the 17th century and are now widespread on the island.
The Primate Research Centre was expanded into the Barbados Wildlife Reserve in 1985, with funding from the Canadian International Development Agency.
All of the buildings in the Wildlife Reserve are constructed from coral rock, excavated from nearby sugarcane fields and all of the bricks that form its paths were recycled from sugar factories.
the Wildlife Reserve
Grenade Hall Signal Station
The signal station offers amazing views of the island and the purpose of the building explains why.
The station was originally constructed in 1819 and was one of a group of six signal stations erected across Barbados after the 1816 Slave Rebellion, used for communication across the island. These towers were constructed in strategic locations around the island on high ground.
What made these ideal lookout points for communication in the 1800s now makes them the perfect vantage points for appreciating the natural beauty of the island.